Saturday 21 March 2009

Proposition 8 - A Scotsman's perspective!

As happy as i was to see Barack Obama win the US Presidential race, that happiness was somewhat stunted by the news that California had voted in proposition 8, effectively writing segregation into their State Constitution by defining marriage as one man and one woman, overturning a recent Supreme Court ruling that deny gay couples the right of marriage was unconstitutional, but also denying them the right to be considered as adoptive parents.

My views on this are fairly simple I'll be brief on each:

On marriage, I simply don't get the problem. No one is asking straight couples to suddenly marry gay people. Also, i have heard every one of the arguments (be they social, religious, moral, whatever) for barring gay couples from marriage opr even equality under the law and I've yet to hear ONE argument that stands up to any scrutiny.

As for adoption, again i can't see the issue. the adoption process is long and arduous (some say too long and too arduous but that's a separate debate) and I reckon any prospective adopter, regardless of age, gender, race, sexual orientation or religion, who gets through that process has earned the right to be treated with the respect that adopters and especially fosterers deserve. The notion that because one is gay or bisexual it somehow limits or diminishes your ability to parent is a notion that is lost on me.

So I hope Proposition 8 is overturned. I also hope that EVERYONE who opposes this disgraceful act of segregation makes themselves heard. I don't care if you are an actor or a plumber or anyone in California. Your voice, no matter how small or insignificant you might think it is, counts here.

And Hollywood, from the big stars to the small indie players, need to get their collective muscle together and help influence the court the right way.

And I am hoping to see AMber at such an event. She has been a great supporter of the LGBT community and I am sure she is offended by proposition 8 as much as I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment